Friday, June 05, 2009

Songs in the Key of Life

Writing is my therapy, always has been. When I'm sad, I write. When I'm happy, I write. There's nothing more comforting than pouring out my feelings on paper or the computer. When I'm sad, writing releases some of the pent up hurt and when I'm happy, writing captures the excitement of the moment. Writing expels the essence of me.

All that to say, I feel the urge to release some emotion tonight. I attended a funeral, a Homegoing Service, about two weeks ago. The church was packed to capacity with folding chairs in the aisles and people standing along the walls. There were flowers as far as the eye could behold. The deceased died of lung cancer and many family members and friends stood at the front of the church and spoke highly of the dearly departed. It was strange to see her life summed up neatly on the church program.

I thought to myself, if I died today, would the church be packed for me? Would people speak fondly of my life? Would I have made a difference? Would the legacy I hope to leave live on?

Life is short. And lately I feel as if I can't do enough fast enough. Anyone who knows me knows that patience is not one of my virtues. I try but patience is something I'm still working on. Whatever it is, I wanted it yesterday.My dreams are no different.

I have so many dreams and aspirations.I've been lucky to discover what my true passions and gifts are: writing and mentoring, mentoring young girls to be exact. Many people go their entire lives and never figure out exactly what they were meant to do during their short stint on earth. So, I'm one of the lucky ones.The hard part is actually achieving them.

I pray. I've always believed in the power of prayer, just as I've always relied on the power of words. I constantly pray for God to help me realize my dreams to the fullest and to be an inspiration to someone, to make a difference. One of the greatest fears I have is that I live life and never touch anyone, never make a difference in anyone's life. For me, that would be tragic. . .To die with a whisper. . . never quite having the chance to roar or soar with the eagles.

I guess what I'm saying is that I pray that God will guide me along the right path to fullfill my destiny. I pray that he will place people in my midst who will aid me in achieving. I pray that I'll continue to grow in my craft. I pray that he'll have me at the right place at the right time. I realize he knows what is in my heart, that my heart is pure and unselfish, and that I'm willing to work hard, be persistent, stay focused and determined on the road to victory.

I realize there will be many peaks and valleys along the way, several ups and downs because I've experienced them and they have only made me stronger and wiser. STRONGER AND WISER. What a blessing. I wouldn't change any of my life experiences because they have made me the person I am today.And you know what, I like the person I am today!

Everything happens for a reason and I feel my time is coming. I can sense it is just around the corner, already made it across the bend. I just have to remain patient. I've always been a dreamer. I believe I can do anything I put my mind to. That never left me from childhood. I never stopped dreaming and believing.

What was meant for me, I will achieve. And when it is all said and done, hopefully someone will say, "Electa stood for somethng. She believed in love, truth and doing what's right. She touched many through her books and lived by the motto: to whom much is given, much is expected.

Labels: , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home