Thursday, September 17, 2009

Why Can't We All Just Get Along?



I have a hobby. . . I have been a casual observer of life, people, relationships and their dynamics for many years now. It's fascinating work. As I've mentioned before, one of my favorite pastimes is to sit in a busy shopping mall or other heavily trafficked/traveled venue and simply people watch. Watch and observe. Oh, and listen. It's amazing what one can see and hear by simply sitting back; it makes for great visual and dialogue in my contemporary fiction books.

However for the life of me, in observing group dynamics, I've never been quite able to figure out why some people think they are better than others. Superior is another term. It's an amazing phenomenon. It shows in everything about them from how they relate or don't relate to others; it shows in their actions or lack thereof; it shows in body language, conduct and demeanor. Their nose is so high in the air that if a heavy rainfall came down, they would drown.

I've never understood how some people try to make themselves look better by attempting to make others feel small. Maybe it's simply human nature. Oh, it's done in various ways: by exclusion, by forming cliques, by subtle comments or looks. Most of all it's sad. If belittling others makes you feel bigger, better and superior, then you have serious self-esteem issues. Seek therapy as soon as possible. Run, don't walk.

One of the worst scenarios: I hate it, simply hate it, when another woman literally looks me up and down. From the top of my head to the bottom of my feet. . . and then doesn't speak.

Coming in a close second: Don't you just hate it when you have to almost force someone to speak to you? They are looking over your head, around you, through you. . . and then suddenly they see you. . . and speak without an ounce of sincerity.

Do until others as you'd have them do until you!

You see. . . I'm not a hater, never have been and never will be. Excuse me if I feel it is my moral obligation and duty to be positive, uplifting and real. That's who I am. Isn't that what genuine, nice people do? I get so much more out of smiling, speaking, embracing, mentoring, encouraging, engaging, developing. . .

I personally believe that no matter how far or how high you may go in life: what was in you to begin with will only shine brighter, be it good or bad.

Labels: , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home