Friday, January 14, 2011

Enjoy Every Moment



Enjoy Every Moment



Take a moment and tell me what part of this scenario doesn't quite fit.

I was watching The Real Housewives of Beverly Hills and crying.

Yes, crying. You read this correctly.

Most of us know for an absolute fact that an episode from any of the The Real Housewives franchise means pettiness, craziness and drama, drama, drama. An emotional moment is not usually part of the equation.

My emotional outburst and tears surprised even me.

Yes, I am an emotional person. Yes, I cry at sappy movies. Yes, I will cry from watching the evening news. But not from watching The Real Housewives.

I was watching the episode, the one right before the season finale. This is the episode where Kyle's oldest child/oldest daughter, Farrah, graduates from college. There were several touching moments that spoke from somewhere deep within and tugged at my heartstrings because I could relate at a maternal level.

I have a daughter, Briana, who's fifteen years old. She is full of life, always has a smile and a hug to offer to those around her. She keeps our family full of laughter. Saying “I love you” is a part of her every day lingo. Kisses follow. Plain and simple, Briana is a happy child. She’s a mini me.

During the celebratory lunch in honor of Farrah, with family and friends surrounding her, Kyle makes an emotionally-laced speech. My tears started to flow. At that point I realized, no matter how rich or poor, no matter what race or ethnicity, country or culture, there is a bond between mother and daughter that is powerful stuff.

With tears and a shaky voice, Kyle speaks of her love for her daughter, and there is no denying that, and how she has been blessed from the day she was born. She is so proud at the way her daughter turned out and the person she has always been. Let me repeat that. . . always been. Kyle triumphantly proclaimed she had waited for this moment for twenty-one years. In that moment, Kyle and I connected because I knew exactly what she meant and the emotions she was experiencing.

More tears flowed, from me.

And, I know that my moment is just around the corner; the moment when my daughter will go off to make her place in the world. This same daughter who told me many years ago: “I’m so happy that out of all the mommies in the world, God chose you for me. I love you Mommy!”

It’s true. Daughters are made of sugar and spice and everything nice. My daughter is only fifteen years old, but she has been the joy of my life, along with her brother, Brandon. They have taught me the true meaning of love, unconditional love, and motherhood and sacrifice and a willingness to lay down my life for another person, if need be. I can be a fierce tigress when defending my precious clubs. When they hurt, I hurt. When they are happy, I bask in their joy. Their triumphs are my victories.

I pray for them. I pray for greatness from them.

I could not picture life without them. My children make me proud every moment of my life. And because of them, I am a better person. I have enough wonderful memories of them growing up to last a lifetime. I smile in reflection. My only regret is that my mother never had the opportunity to get to know the wonderful people they are. My gifts.

Children grow up so fast. I will never forget, years ago, a complete stranger approached us in a store, maybe Sears. Brandon and Briana were smaller then and my husband and I were carrying them in our arms. He had Brandon and I had Briana. The middle-aged white male smiled and told us to always kiss them, hold them tight, and enjoy every moment because after age twelve, the years zoom by, in the blink of an eye. How true he was.

Enjoy every moment.





Labels: , , , , , ,

3 Comments:

Blogger Yolanda said...

Ok Electa. You got me crying and I don't even have children. I guess I'm crying because I have a 15 year old Goddaughter and 12 year old Godson and they are both the apple of my eye. The middle-aged man was right, they grow up so fast. Tamera is busy being a cheerleader. Michael is busy being a basketball player. But, they always find time to tell me they love me. Just last week Tamera wrote on my facebook wall how much she love me.

Friday, January 14, 2011  
Blogger Terri said...

You are making me cry just reading your blog!!! My daughter and my son bring me so much joy. I woke up at 4:30 this morning thinking about my children and just asking God to continue to bless them and praying that I can continue to do the best job I can to help them make it through this world!! Thank you for sharing your thought!

Wednesday, February 16, 2011  
Anonymous Angelique said...

Electa, this post bought tears to my eyes because this year my daughter will be 18 and graduating from high school. She is my only child and the joy of my life, she has always been and always will be because as you stated, children make you a better person. God bringing her into my life showed me the true meaning of unconditional love and sacrifice. When she steps on the stage to receive her diploma in 2012, I am quite sure my emotions will win as I see who God entrusted me to protect and love on this Earth. Thank you for your post.

Friday, April 01, 2011  

Post a Comment

<< Home