Thursday, March 31, 2011

Women Rock


Women Rock!

If I had the opportunity to live my life over, I would like to come back as a woman, again, without hesitation. That's a fact. I adore being a woman and all that entails. Phenomenal Woman by Maya Angelou sums it up beautifully.


It's the fire in my eyes,
And the flash of my teeth,
The swing in my waist,
And the joy in my feet.
I'm a woman

I think women are the most powerful, special and divine creatures on earth and some of the best and most meaningful times of my life have been spent in the company of my sisterfriends.

There is nothing quite like the society of womanhood that nurtures, protects, grooms and loves with so much passion and distinction. I am who I am and what I am today because of life lessons learned at the knees of my mother, aunts and female cousins. I am a strong, resilient, independent and self-sufficient woman because of them. I pray that someday someone will be able to say the same of me.

Over the years, I have developed friendships with a small number of girlfriends that will last a lifetime. I love them like a sister and they love me back even when we get on each other's nerves. However, that's the beauty of it all. They have been there for me through thick and thin, flowing tears of joy and sadness, wonderful triumphs and devastating tragedy. My best girlfriends have comforted me during the death of my mother, celebrated my marriage and rejoiced in the birth of my children. There is so much history and that means everything to me...they know me as well as I know myself.

Girl talk over the phone that lasts for hours, unbridled laughter and gossip over drinks and dinner, making a six-hour road trip just because I asked, checking in on me when I'm not feeling well, supporting my dreams as if they are their own. There is truly something spectacular that encompasses a genuine circle of women. There is magic and power in their midst that rises up and transforms.

Not too long ago, I recall reading a short passage via the Internet; someone forwarded it to me. It focused on advice an elderly grandmother gave to her only granddaughter the night before her big wedding. She calmly and cautiously told her granddaughter no matter what happened in life, never let go of her friends. The young, soon to be bride reflected on how much she adored her future husband and how she couldn't wait to have his children; he was all she needed in her life. Then the grandmother wisely explained: Husbands may come and go, children grow up and take on lives of their own, but friendship, true friendship, is everlasting. Cling to it.

Sure enough, years later, the granddaughter and her husband had divorced, the children had graduated from college with careers and families of their own, but the granddaughter had adhered to her grandmother's advice and clung to her friends. They, her friends, were still there through it all.

I'll say it again, women absolutely rock!








Labels: , ,

3 Comments:

Blogger Cheryl said...

That is a very important to keep your friends. I, unfortunately, did not do that. I thought that was all I need is my husband. I lost touch with my friends. Actually, there was a time that I did go line dancing once a week with some friends from work, and that was so much fun! Now, unfortuntely I do not do anything with friends. Luckily I have friends at work, but we don't get together outside of work. My husband and I have been together ever since the summer after I graduated high school in 91. We got married in 94 and had our first daughter in 2002. He doesn't do anything with friends either. If I could do it all again, I defintely would have kept up my friendships. He doesn't really like me doing anything like that anyway. For instance, I got free tickets to a Third Eye Blind Concert. You know who I took? My 8 year old daughter. I mean, she had fun, but it's pretty sad you know. I love my husband, but I think friends are so important too! I have a ton of friends on facebook and blogging buddies. Actually one of my facebook friends, Orsayor Simmons, said we should get together because we only live about 4 hours apart. I am looking forward to that. The thing is, what is my husband going to say. He thinks all of my blogging is silly. He thinks I spend way too much time reading. Yes. I do spend a lot of time reading, but it's my time for myself after the kids go to bed. He works midnights so he is sleeping anyway. There is that National Book Club Conference in Atlanta in July. I would love to go to that, but I know my husband would not go for a trip there for a book festival, not to mention me spending money to go there. Maybe someday right! Well, enough from me! Yes, keep in touch with your friends!

Wednesday, May 04, 2011  
Blogger Electa Rome Parks said...

Cheryl,

Thanks for dropping by to check out my blog!

It is never too late! Of course, you have lost contact with your high school friends, but you can always build new friendships with people who share common interests such as Orsayor.

I'm sure your husband wants to see you happy and sometimes you have to have some space and do your own thing (smile) for a few hours.It works for me and my hubby.

Electa

Wednesday, May 04, 2011  
Blogger Cheryl said...

Thanks Electa!

Yes, I need to carve out some time and get out there and spend time with friends.

Cheryl

Wednesday, May 04, 2011  

Post a Comment

<< Home